Friday, February 12, 2010

Missing Norway...
So...I (Cortney) realize we have already not been so great at updating our blog. I hope to post some pictures soon (really), but since I'm really missing Norway today, I thought I'd say a little bit about that. Let me just preface by saying that things are going well here in Pasadena. We survived the first half of our first quarter, well, let me change that. We more than just "survived", we learned a lot, enjoy our classes immensely even with all the work that they bring (I'll even admit that I enjoy most of the homework!), and after receiving a few papers back, are pleased with how well we are doing so far!

So much more to say about life here, but today is an "I miss Norway day". Really though, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of the place and people there, but today, in this moment, my heart hurts! I'm so thankful that we have been able to keep in touch pretty well with Kelly who is still over there (and planning to embark on her 5th year this fall if all goes as planned!) via skype video conversations on the computer. It is exciting to hear all that God is continuing to do there and through Quest and the amazing people that are surrounding Kelly. It is also a blessing just to talk to Kelly who has really become family these past few years as we've all gone through life in Norway together. We've also been in touch with some students as well (though not nearly as much as we'd like!) so that is always great when we get to talk to them. It is even crazy that there are a few Norwegians here studying at Fuller that we've been able to talk with. One girl, Ruth, is in two of my three classes so that has been really great and crazy- who would have thought? Brett and my Norwegian speaking is rusty to say the least, but it is still exciting to be able to understand conversation and try to speak if we can.

So often when I am in my Global Theology class, I am reminded of Norway and little things constantly remind me to pray for the people I know there (and those I don't).All of this to say that I realize more and more how much a part of me that place has become. I still struggle with what God wants to do with the three years we spent there both for that place and also for our own lives and our future. It is now a part of who we are. Was our time there a season, will we ever go back? Of course we will go back to visit, but what will our relationship be with Norway in the future?

It is interesting how we can look back on that time in our life and how it was the most incredibly difficult (and there were many days we wanted to quit!), yet also feel it was the most amazing, blessed time. Certainly the most life-transforming. My heart hurts because I feel like I gave everything I had to whatever God wanted to do in and through me there- I gave so much of myself (more than I felt I had to give or wanted to give at times), so much of my heart. And I feel like a piece of me is still there. So strange. It hurts sometimes to not be there and be a part of all that is happening, to not know all the details of the lives of dear friends, especially as they are happening (we probably drive Kelly nuts asking for updates on everyone!). To not be able to physically get together and really pray and seek God together and see Him move in our midst. To feel like 3 years of my life sped by and now suddenly I don't get to see those people and that place anymore. I miss the hunger for God that I witnessed there especially the last year.And I still feel so strongly that God's destiny is on that place, on that group of people even, in a powerful way. I know we didn't always feel that way, but God knows it. Praise God that we will have two dear Norwegian friends staying with us for a couple of weeks in March, and Kelly and her roommate, Linn, hopefully coming in June. We are so excited.

Now, here in Pasadena, CA, I am trying to learn how to live in the present moment and place- to always know what an incredible blessing it is to be here doing what we are doing, yet also hold close our connection with Norway, while also being open for WHATEVER God may have planned for our future and to trust him in all of that. It is not an easy thing to do.

I could just keep going on, but I just wanted to send out to the world a big I MISS NORWAY today and a prayer that God's kingdom would come and His will be done, on earth as it is in heaven, Amen.

3 comments:

Keldog said...

awww scortney! no I don't get annoyed updating you & I'd do it a million times over if it means getting to see ya/hear your voice! :P I'm uber cheese, but know you're deeply missed as well & that we're thinking about you guys all the time! ALL the time!! AND...Linn & I are in search for tickets! whoop whoop Pasadena here we come :)

Frøken Gjerde said...

cortney, you don't even know how much you are missed... and i can't wait to see you this summer!!!!!!!!!! weeeeey!! :D mange klemma til deg fra meg

Anonymous said...

Wow. Du deler Ditt hjerte, og du er veldig flink
til å skrive. Dere har nok innvistert med hjerte her,
og lagt igjen en del av det. Så vi savner dere, og hjerte
som dere utrykker i det dere er og den pasjonen
dere lever. Klem, Trond Inge